Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Vicki Lundquist

My name is Vicki Lundquist. My family moved to Alabama12 years ago after we retired from the Army. I enjoyed our military life and the different states and countries I've lived and ran in.  It's been hard getting use to not moving every few years, but after 12, I think I'm finally getting the hang of staying in one place. I am currently working as a Systems Engineer.

I've been running on and off (mostly on) for almost 40 years. My introduction to running began when I joined my high school track team. Back then I thought running a mile was something you only did when the coach was mad at you. How things have changed. My reasons for running are always evolving: I've run because I had to (I was in the military), I've run to counter balance my food habit, I've run to meet new people and visit new cities, and I've run for the sense of accomplishment I get when I cross the finish line. Through the years I've run too many 5, 10, and 15K's to count (or remember). In 2000, I joined Team In Training and completed my first long distance run; the 2001 Disney World marathon. Since then I've completed nine more marathons, seven half-marathons, and with the help of Fleet Feet Tri 201, an Olympic distance triathlon. I'm a proud back of the pack runner whose goal is to have fun and to run smart enough to run another day.

My running life could not be possible without the support and encouragement of my husband of 29 years, Carl, and our two children Megan, 27 and Anthony, 21. They've always been there to cheer me on and to pick up the slack when I've returned home after a particularly hard run race. And I can't forget our dogs, Mischief and Sam Adams. Mischief kept me company during my early morning runs when I was training for my first marathon. Sadly, this past January, we had to let him go after 12 wonderful years. Sam Adams has been with us for 3 years. He's also is a great running partner...as long as no squirrels come within his eye sight. Sam has helped me run some great 5K times.

I joined this group of amazing women because I cannot say no the Caneilia...or a new challenge. The American Cancer Society is also a cause that is near to me. From co-workers and friends to grandparents and relatives, cancer has touched the lives of some many people I know. I am running for my Mom and in celebration of my Aunt Pat.

1 comment:

  1. You know I'm a nut that gets you involved because you helped me train for my first 1/2 marathon, so it's your fault ;-). So glad you are doing this with me!!

    ReplyDelete