Thursday, February 10, 2011

Robin Giles

My name is Robin Giles. I am a wife, mother, grandmother, dog lover and runner.

I started running as a way to kick a 31-year smoking habit. On July 14, 2006, I literally put down the cigarettes and picked up the running shoes - my goal was to run the Gate River Run 15k in Jacksonville Florida. I ran the Gate a year and a half after I started running and have run it every year since.

My husband, Jimm, and I have been married for 24 years. The first 20 years of our marriage Jimm was
in the US Navy and moved us from Wisconsin - where I grow up - to Rota, Spain, Virginia Beach, VA and Jacksonville FL. In August of 2008, after Jimm retired from the Navy, we moved to Huntsville Alabama where my running became a passion. Being a Navy wife helped me to become a stronger person, which I attribute to my ability to push a little harder during long runs.

As a way to meet people in Huntsville, I signed up for a training program and as a result of my new friends encouragement I completed my first half marathon in September 2009. With proper training and a lot of support from family and friends, I have now completed eight half marathons and on February 13, 2011, I will run my first full marathon.

Jimm and I currently live in Huntsville with our Australian Sheppard, Socrates. While our daughter and granddaughter live in Jacksonville Florida, just a thought of them inspires me to push on when I would otherwise quit.

I am running for my dad who left us way too soon.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Robin for being able to kick the smoking habit! Sorry, to hear about your dad.

    ReplyDelete