Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Fund Racing

My friend, Casey, and I went to see the movie Hood to Coast.  She had never even heard of the race much less the movie.  I, on the other hand, had heard about the race, and knew that "eventually" I wanted to do it.  You know, "one of these days".  The movie was no less than AMAZING.  When we left, I told Casey about my "one of these days" plans.  Casey, being a woman of action, had other plans!  Before the night was over, she had done her research, and had become a woman on a mission.

There are three ways for a team (of twelve people) to join the race.  The top six teams from each division get an automatic entry into the following year's race.   But, of course, you not only have to get in initially, your team has to place in the top six of its division.  The most popular way to enter the race is by the registration lottery.  Registration for the event opens for one day only, in October, for the following year's race.  Teams are randomly selected and notified in November.   The third way to enter is through fund raising efforts.

Casey and I knew the charity of choice for Hood to Coast was the American Cancer Society, but neither of us know exactly what that meant.  We (okay, Casey) found out not only does the race give a portion of the proceeds to the charity, participants have the option to raise funds for them as well.  Casey emailed me to say if we could get a team together and raise $15K by race day this year (August 26th), we'd be guaranteed entry into next year's race.  She wasn't convinced we could form a team; I wasn't convinced we could raise the funds.  I proved her wrong within a few days.  She'll prove me wrong within a few months.

Over the next several days I'm going to introduce you to the rest of the members of our team, the Dixie Daredevils.  I can't wait for you to meet all of them!  We have come together not just to run a fun and exciting race, we've come together for a cause near and dear to our hearts-fighting cancer.  All of us have been affected one way or another by the disease and we all hope the cure will be found before we make it to our own finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment