Saturday, February 19, 2011

Rosemary McCoy (September 21, 1942 – October 8, 1993)

((Written by Regena Moore:))  I am running The Hood to Coast Relay in honor of my mom, Rosemary McCoy, who died from lung cancer at the age of 51. I was 17 and a senior in high-school when she was diagnosed. She wasn’t a smoker, so the doctors weren’t able to give us a definite cause for the lung cancer. My family and I were shocked and confused! Would she live long enough to see me graduate from high-school? I quickly realized that not only would it be unlikely that she would see me graduate, but that she most definitely wouldn’t see me get married and have children. I was devastated!

Over the next several months, I watched and listened to my mom suffer from immense pain, weight loss, persistent cough, nausea and lack of appetite. Sometimes, I would lie in bed at night listening to her moan and cry asking God to take her to heaven because she “hurt” so bad. There were also days that I was responsible for driving her an hour away to receive radiation. Other days, she was unable to carry on a conversation due to the pain and exhaustion. My mom lived long enough to see me graduate.

She died 4 months later. It was, without a doubt, the hardest time in my life.

Over the past 2 years, I have found great joy through running. I look forward to the challenge and new experiences of participating in The Hood Coast Relay. I am honored to raise money for the America Cancer Society, so that they can continue to do cancer research. Please, join us in our journey by donating to the American Cancer Society. Your loving contribution is greatly appreciated!

In Memory Of:

Rosemary McCoy

September 21, 1942 – October 8, 1993

No comments:

Post a Comment