Saturday, May 7, 2011

Five weeks without running!

Five weeks without running... That is NO FUN when you are a runner! I am so thankful to be a triathlete as well. At least if I had to give up running for 5 weeks to heal from a stress fracture in my 2nd metatarsal, I could still swim and bike. In a nutshell, the stress fracture was a result of going up a half size in my new trail runners then switching back to my smaller road shoes. I was just a couple of weeks away from ordering a new pair of Newton road shoes in the larger size. I was absolutely sick when it happened!

My Monday night run on March 28, 2011 was one run too many in the smaller shoes. There I was around mile 3 when I felt something in my foot crack. I shook it out and it just felt like something was out of place. I limped a few steps and the pain subsided. I continued the run and completed just under 6 miles with my friends. I iced the foot immediately when I got home. The next day I couldn't even bear weight on it. I iced my foot and popped Vitamin I (Ibuprophen) throughout the day.

Up to this point, I had never been sidelined from running. That is not to say that I never had aches and pains, just never anything I couldn't train through. I kept thinking the pain would go away and I would be fine for the back to back half marathons I had planned for the weekend and a marathon 5 weeks later. Wrong! On Wednesday I woke up and called The Orthopaedic Center immediately. I explained my situation and they worked me in that day. A bone scan later confirmed a stress fracture and by doctor's orders no running for 5 weeks. I did a lot of research on the best ways to not lose fitness when you can't run. The best solution I found? Aqua Jogging!

Aqua jogging is not just for cute little old ladies anymore kids! Aqua jogging is COOL! Well maybe not cool, but definitely a great way to maintain fitness when you can't pound the pavement. Lucky for me another Dixie Daredevil, Melissa Lee, was willing to log the minutes and hours in the pool with me. Talk about a good friend! My longest aqua jog in the five weeks I was sidelined was two hours. That's a lot of treading water!

On Tuesday I went back to The Orthopaedic Center for my 5 week check up and guess what??? I was cleared to run again!!! For the next two weeks I can run up to 2 miles 3 days per week, after which I can continue to increase my mileage slowly. I went to Fleet Feet ordered my new Newtons immediately! That night I ran the road in my trail runners and felt GREAT! On Thursday night I attended Fleet Feet's Cinco de Mayo fun run and ran another 2 miles. Today is my normal "long run" day, but I have opted to run tomorrow so I can run 2 miles of the bike after my "long ride."

When all was said and done I had to miss a couple half marathons, a full marathon and a Half Ironman in July. The important thing is that my stress fracture is healing well and I should be able to run the sprint triathlons I have scheduled for June, as well as an the Rocketman Olympic Triathlon in late August. I am picking out a fall Half Ironman and am also planning on a late October marathon. I really missed running over the past 5 weeks, but I have had a lot of fun on my new bike as well as cheering on my family and friends at their races! Injuries are never fun, but taking the necessary time off is super important in the long run... pun intended!

3 comments:

  1. I am a little upset that I am just now learning of this "little" problem. I know I can't do much being so far away, but I could at least send sympathy or get well cards. Love you,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry,Carrie. I thought Dana had posted this. I am glad your foot is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) Thank you! Dana told me about the confusion! Hopefully we will ALL remain injury free now, so no more posts about injuries at all. Fingers crossed! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete