Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Carrie is running for her grandfather, "Papa"

I am running for my "Papa", William Wilson, who was diagnosed with Mesothelioma in September 1998. He lost his fight to cancer on February 1, 2000. He left behind 2 sons, 3 daughters, 15 grandchildren, and 9 great grandchildren. If he were here today, he would have 16 grandchildren and 17 great grandchildren! We have a huge family, so he always knew he had lots of love!

One of my happiest memories of him when I was growing up was that he loved driving us around on his John Deere tractor! As an adult, my happiest memory of him was the cruise we took after his cancer diagnosis and before he became so sick. Looking back, I appreciate that trip even more than I did at the time. I was in college when he passed away and I remember hating to see him in such pain, especially during chemotherapy and in the later stages of his sickness. Papa was a prominent businessman in North Alabama area and is still missed by his family, many friends and business associates. His memory lives on and I am so proud to run in his memory at the 2012 Hood to Coast Relay as a Dixie Daredevil!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment